PTU in pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTU in pregnancy

Hi, I understood that Ptu is considered safe to use in pregnancy and should be used instead of carbimazole: however I have just read that more recent studies ha r shown that ptu causes birth defects to the same extent as carbimazole. Ptu is also fda category d in pregnancy which says there is risk to the fetus. Does this mean it shouldn’t be used? I’m very confused

Rowan6,

"Human experience suggests propylthiouracil (PTU) is not expected to increase the risk of congenital anomalies; however, fetal and neonatal thyroid impairment may occur.[1] Propylthiouracil is considered to be the antithyroid agent of choice during pregnancy. [1]" (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). The PTU is considered a P4 (or cat. D) in pregnancy, but according to Lexicomp it is the preferred antithyroid medication in the first trimester, and Methimizole maybe preferred in the second and third trimester because of the risk of liver toxicity with the PTU.

1.##The REPROTOX? System. Georgetown University Medical Center and Reproductive Toxicology Center, Columbia Hospital for Women Medical Center, Washington, D.C. (electronic version). Thomson Reuters, Greenwood Village, Colorado, USA. Available at: [url]http://csi.micromedex.com[/url] (Jun/1/2010).

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X