mthfr treatment supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mthfr treatment supplements

I have a couple of questions about vitamins and minerals. I am breastfeeding a two-year old and would like to know if a b-complex is safe to take while breastfeeding. It seems like there is a lot of variation in what a complex contains in terms of which vitamins and their amounts. The one that was recommended to me for my mthfr has: thiamin 10mg, riboflavin 20 mg, niacin 180 mg, b6 20 mg, pantothenic acid 150 mg and biotin 500 mg. My other question is, are there any issues with multiminerals while breastfeeding? I think I would only need to be on these daily for a couple of months but I don't want to do anything that would not be good for my toddler.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Dr. Hale and I have discussed this question. All of the supplements that you listed are water-soluble vitamins. This means that there is a certain daily maximum that can be absorbed by the intestines, you tend to pee out what you can't use, and relatively little ends up in the breastmilk. For many of them, no toxic level has been recorded in the literature. Especially since you are breastfeeding a toddler who gets most of his or her nutrition elsewhere, the amount of vitamin coming from your milk is very small relative to your child's body weight.

That having been said, there are a few caveats. First, not many studies have been done on b-vitamins at these doses. It is a reasonable assumption that the breastmilk concentration increases linearly with the mother's intake, but it is an assumption nonetheless. Secondly, you should be careful with the niacin. We know from using it to reduce cholesterol that high dose niacin can cause uncomfortable side-effects, like flushing, and potentially liver damage. Still, I don't think it is a danger to your child. Third, b-vitamins can alter the taste of milk and your child may be less interested in breastfeeding while you are taking the supplements.

There should be no problem with the multimineral, but try to keep it simple and close to US RDA guidelines.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD
    Last edited by admin-james; 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

thank you! this is really helpful

Comment

sandikiyomi,

What was your experience after taking these supplements? I recently discovered I have the MTHFR mutation as well and am looking into taking similar supplements for it. I am currently breastfeeding my 3 year old.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X