oral prednisolone and infant vaccination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oral prednisolone and infant vaccination

I have been prescribed a course of oral prednisolone to treat chronic sinusitis resulting in anosmia. The starting dose is 40 mg daily for 3 days, to be tapered down for a total of 2 weeks therapy. I understand that using prednisolone at this dose is acceptable while breastfeeding and that a precaution of not breastfeeding for 4 hours after the dose could be taken. My question is: could prednisolone in the breastmilk negatively affect vaccination which my daugher (4.5 months old) received a couple of days ago. She was vaccincated against tetanus, diphteria, pertussis, Hib, Hep B, polio (combined 6 in 1 shot) and rotavirus (oral). Is it necessary for me to wait with prednisolone therapy so her immune response is not influenced? If yes, how long. She should receive another round of vaccinations in about 4 weeks.

Another question is whether prednisolone can be taken in the evening- this would allow me to take advantage of a long break between breastfeeding sessions my daughter has at night.

Looking forward to your answers.

Ilay1234,

You can take your prednisolone as scheduled, the only time we would worry about vaccinations would be for live vaccines and if your infant was severely immunocompromised. Taking your medicine at night may keep you awake.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    infantRisk Center
    806-2519

Comment

Isn't rotavirus a live virus vaccine that could be problematic?

Comment

Ilay1234,

Yes it is live, but only a problem if your infant was severely immunocompromised.

Sandra Lovato R.N.

Comment

Working...
        X