Betamethasone steroid injection and milk supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betamethasone steroid injection and milk supply

I've been reading mixed reviews and am wondering if one injection of betamethasone in my lower back could affect my milk supply? I am hesitant to have this done.

Debbieg74,

We have had some reports of reduced milk supply with high dose-prolonged use of prednisone, but it is unlikely 1 injection of betamethasone would affect your supply.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

And how long would I need to wait to resume breastfeeding after receiving the injection?do I need to pump and dump?

Comment

Debbieg74,

I would just wait one half-life of about 3 1/2 hours after your injection to breastfeed. This medication is ok to breastfeed with unless high doses are used for prolonged periods of time.

Sandra Lovato R.N.

Comment

Hi- I just learned that the steroid they use for the back injection I need is actually depomedrol (methylprednisone). Can you tell me if you think this could affect my milk supply? Also how long would I need to pump and dump if given this steroid injection in my lower back? Thanks so much!

Comment

debbieg74,

Methylprednisolone is probably suitable to use during breastfeeding as long as it is taken in low-moderate doses (do not exceed 80 mg daily). If high doses are needed pump and dump for 8-12 hours. A one time injection in your back will probably not effect your milk supply, but cannot say for sure everyone is different.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
            InfantRisk Center
            806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
            X