Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humira and Breastfeeding Strategy...in the beginning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humira and Breastfeeding Strategy...in the beginning...

Question pertaining to the "strategy", if any, which is recommended for breastfeeding while on Humira. I've read that it's okay to be on Humira during pregnancy and breastfeeding...but have picked up that timing of Humira doses should be altered around birth. What are the reccomended times...i.e. stop humira 2 weeks before birth, don't reinject until 1 week after birth. Is there a pump and dump timeframe suggested at all during the first few days postpartum?

If you are not able to follow and end up injecting right before birth, what is the timeframe before your infant should breastfeed?

Dear yoamy81,

We think that Humira (adalimumab) transfers into breastmilk in significant amounts the first four days after delivery but thereafter, only transfers minimally. Therefore, it is recommended to pump and discard until after your mature milk comes in after the fourth day. Since it is difficult to know when you will go into labor, talk with your physician about the timing of your injections as you near your expected date of delivery.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Humira. I've read that it's okay to be on Humira during pregnancy and breastfeeding...but have picked up that timing of Humira doses should be alt...

Comment

Working...
      X