Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenalog Injection for Allergies - Safe to BFeed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenalog Injection for Allergies - Safe to BFeed?

Today I received a kenalog injection for an allergy attack (in my rear). The doc said I had to refrain from nursing for 10 days. I didn't think about the implications of this and just wanted to breathe. Only now am I mourning this sudden change.

Do I really have to abstain for 10 days?

Triamcinolone (Kenalog) is a typical corticosteroid that is available for topical, intranasal, injection, inhalation, and oral use. Although no data are available on triamcinolone secretion into human milk, it is likely that the milk levels would be exceedingly low and not clinically relevant when administered via inhalation or intranasally. There is virtually no risk to the infant following use of the intranasal or aerosol products in breastfeeding mothers. With topical application, limit the dose and frequency of use. For intra-articular and intramuscular injections, mothers should pump and discard for a minimum of 12 hours after injection. Typical corticosteroids have a low relative infant dose (RID) which is the amount of the maternal dose that enters breastmilk. An example is prednisone that has a RID of 1.8 to 5.3 percent. In most cases, medications that have a RID of less than 10 percent are usually compatible with breastfeeding. Even though we do not have data on Kenalog specifically, this family of medications does not enter human milk in large quantities. However, in the first 12 hours after injection, a fairly large amount of the drug enters the blood stream then tapers off and is then slowly secreted in small amounts over the next 2 to 3 weeks. Avoiding breastfeeding during the time the blood level is high (first 12 hrs), decreases the risk of adverse effects to the infant. Steroids, when given in high doses and over long periods of time can have an adverse effect on growth and development. If you have to get serial injections, it is recommended to have your pediatrician monitor the infant's growth and development. Hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Thank you*informed me.
      Last edited by Vsmislewwwwe; 10-09-2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X