depo-medrol Injection 40 mg for allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• depo-medrol Injection 40 mg for allergies

I have horrible seasonal allergies. Basically I'm allergic to every grass, tree, and weed.
    I normally get a depo-medrol 40 mg injection once a year.
    The allergy pills (Claritin, Zyrtec) provide little relief.

My question is, how safe is this injection (40mg) while breastfeeding? Baby is 5months.
    I feel like it would be better to get a one time injection then to take a daily pill.

And if it is safe, should I pump and dump for a certain time period after getting the injection?

Depo-medrol

jesy 2029, Thanks for your post,

Depo-medrol is probably safe to use in low to moderate doses, do not exceed 80mg in a day, if high doses are needed pumping and dumping for 8-12 hours is probably advised. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

My pain doc is prescribing a 40mg depo-medrol injection in C5/C6 for my pain due to degenerative disks and pinched nerve. He suggests I not breastfeed for 5-6 days after the procedure. My daughter is exclusively breast fed. Do I really have to wait that long to feed her? Thank you!

Comment

Messyfabshoes,

Depo-medrol is probably ok in lower doses, do not exceed 80mg in 24 hours. Only 0.46-3.15% of your dose is transferred into breast milk. If higher doses are needed it may be best to pump and dump for 9-12 hours. You received 40mg so it should be ok, you could wait 3 hours after a dose and half is already out of your plasma and milk compartment. It takes 6 half-lives ( so 18 hours) to be completely out .

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

If I get the 80 mg should I wait 6 hours to feed her?

Comment

Messyfabshoes,

That should be fine at 6 hours 75% out.

Sandra Lovato R.N.

Comment

Working...
              X