IV of 1 gram solu medrol while Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IV of 1 gram solu medrol while Breastfeeding

I am now 3 weeks post partum and breastfeeding. I have MS and have chosen not to take any medication during pregrancy or while breastfeeding. While i feel very good, I did agree to the 1 gram solu medrol for one IV per month, starting tomorrow.
    Basically I want to know how long I should wait after having the 1 gram IV to breastfeed again and if I should "pump and dump" after the IV?

I appreciate your help
    Thank you!

Dear Katrina,
    After receiving 1 gram IV of Solu-medrol, I would advice that you pump and discard for a minimum of 12 hours, preferably 24 hours. This should eliminate risks associated with high dose steroid use which include delayed bone growth. Hope this is helpful.
    Maria Milla, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Originally posted by mmilla View Post
      Dear Katrina,
      After receiving 1 gram IV of Solu-medrol, I would advice that you pump and discard for a minimum of 12 hours, preferably 24 hours. This should eliminate risks associated with high dose steroid use which include delayed bone growth. Hope this is helpful.
      Maria Milla, MD
      InfantRisk Center
      What about 500 mg IV daily for 5 days as once off treatment? Stop bf for 6 days or not? Thanks.

Comment

Solu-medrol and breastfeeding

Dear Katrina,
        500 mg per day of Solu-medrol is still considered a high dose. We recommend to pump and discard for at least 12 hours following each administration of the drug. This would be 6 days total. Hope this is helpful.
        Sincerely,
        Maria Milla, MD
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X