Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Methylprednisolone dose pack 4mg safe for breastfeeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methylprednisolone dose pack 4mg safe for breastfeeding?

I have an ear and sinus infection and currently can't hear out of my left ear. My physician prescribed Augmentin and the methylprednisolone 4mg dose pack. I have read the lactmed entries and am confused if it's safe for me to take the methylprednisolone. In particular, I am concerned about risks to my 8month old and also to lactation. My infant is not interested in solids and is therefore essentially exclusively breastfed. I do have a frozen stash I can draw from if needed. I have held off from taking the methylprednisolone because of my confusion. At the same time, I've been on the antibiotic for three days and have had no change in my ear and am concerned about getting it back to normal. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Vse

Both of these drugs are fine to use while Breastfeeding short term. The only time we worry about methylprednisolone is when used long term over months of time

Augmentin sometimes can cause a loose stool in the infant but this rare.

Dr. Hale

Comment

Thank you so much Dr. Hale for the quick response and the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Comment

VSE,

Here is a little more detail on the steroid issue. Dr. Hale and I composed this for our site.
        http://mommymeds.com/frequently-asked-questions/steroids

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
        X