Methylprednisolone 4mg and breastfeeding supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methylprednisolone 4mg and breastfeeding supply

I was prescribed Methylprednisolone 4mg pack for 6 days. Day 1 I take 6 pills (24mg), day 2 is 5 pills (20mg), etc until day 6 where I take 1 pill 4mg. My daughter is exclusively breastfed, nursing when she is with me and I pump every 3 hours while I am at work. Is this safe to take while nursing my little one or do I need to pump and dump? More importantly will it decrease my supply. My dr said it may cause a dip in supply, but I do not have any wiggle room with that. My little one is 9 months old and I would like to make it to 1 year nursing so I will forgo the medication if it will decrease my supply or make it disappear.

ajohnston14,

Methylprednisolone is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is only 0.46-3.15% of your dose. Take the medicine after nursing or pumping. Short term use at low doses is not a problem for the baby but it may or may not decrease your milk supply while you are on it, everyone is different, but most people only have a slight dip in supply if at all.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X