Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diflucortolone Valerate and breastfeeding

Dear team,
    I was told to use Neriderm ointment (active ingredient: Diflucortolone Valerate 0.1%) for the length of 14 days topically on neck, breast and crook of the arm due to a rash that started appearing during pregnancy and worsened after delivery. I was told that the steroids may pass into the milk, even though the dosage is low, so I've decided to stop nursing my 2-week-old for the duration of the treatment. However, I am very eager to take up breastfeeding again as I am worried my milk flow may stop, even though I am poumping in the meanwhile.
    Here are my questions:
    - Is the dosage of Diflucortolone Valerate really low enough not to be concerned?
    - After stopping the treatment, for how long will the steroids continue to be in my body?
    - The rash more or less already disappeared. Can I stop the treatment earlier than after 14 days?

Many thanks in advance for your help
    Eva

Eva:

Steroids such as this one pass poorly into milk, and there is almost never a reason to stop breastfeeding when using steroids, particularly topical steroids. Less than 0.7-1% of this product is absorbed systemically, and virtually none of this will enter the milk compartment.

I'd suggest you return to breastfeeding, as it is so important during this time period.

Tom Hale Ph.d.
    Professor
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Dear Prof. Hale,
      Many thanks for your quick reply and the valuable info.

Best
      Eva

Comment

Working...
      X