Methylprednisone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methylprednisone

Hi to make a long story short I wound up in the hospital for 4 days this week. With joint pain and needing blood transfusions for a severely low hemoglobin level. I was given steroid in iv, last dose being yesterday morning at 7am. I have an 11 month old and was pumping and dumping. Now I’m home and am on a tapering schedule with oral methylprednisone 15mg - 2 pills in am and 2 in Pm for 4 days and then slowly weaning. I was also given A sleeping pill - Temazepam 15mg. I’ve not touched any pain pillls. Do I need to keep pumping and dumping or am I able to feed my daughter any of this milk? Thank you so much. I feel so guilty not nursing her and we are almost at a year and I’d like to make it that far.

Nikimaher,

Methylprednisolone is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 0.46-3.15% of your dose. We think it is probably ok to take this medication while nursing as long as it is taken in low to moderate doses (do not exceed 80mg a day) for a short duration of time. I would suggest taking it right after you nurse when you have a break before nursing again. Monitor your infants growth.

Temazepam is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. "In one study, levels of temazepam were undetectable in the infants studied. Levels in 9 of 10 milk samples were undetectable. Although the study shows low neonatal exposure to temazepam via breastmilk, the infant should be monitored carefully for sleepiness and poor feeding." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD.) Try taking the medication after your infants last feed of the night and monitor your infant for sedation, slow breathing rate, poor feedings and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X