Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prednisolone and Valaciclovir

Hi!

I suddenly lost hearing in one ear and the ENT said I had to start taking steroids and an antiviral immediately. I have started with 60mg of prednisone for 5 days the dosage getting smaller after every few days for 2 weeks and also valaciclovir 500mg three times a day so that's 1500mg a day. I was breastfeeding my 7 month old but was told to wean cold turkey for the duration of the medication. Do I have to wean or is it safe to continue breastfeeding?

Thank you

Sorry I meant prednisolone

Comment

babyz:

I do not think that this declining dose would be a problem for a 7 month old infant. Only 2-5% of the dose actually enters milk and this is probably too low to have any effect on your infant. As for Valacyclovir, which is rapidly converted to acyclovir, less than 2% of acyclovir gets into milk, and this is far too low to bother an infant.

I'd suggest the risk to your infant is minimal.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

What are the possible risks to the baby? And how would I know if he's being affected?

Comment

babyz: the only risk from prolonged exposure to low-dose steroids is reduced bone growth, but this would require months and months of therapy. I do not know of any risks at all to exposure to low doses of acyclovir.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Would this be okay for a younger baby? My baby is 4 months old and my prescriptions are prednisone 40mg x1 wk then 20mg x 1 wk, along with acyclovir 800mg TID for a month.

Comment

This should be fine for a younger baby as well. Your dose of prednisone is about mid-range and not for very long.

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Sorry am new to this, in a hurry and having trouble working out how to ask questions so if this is all wrong, humble apologies )
                Can anyone tell me if a BF mum having a MS relapse and having a IV infusion of methylprednisolone with omiprazole has to solely pump and dump?
                Cheers Trudy Hart NZ

Comment

We discuss these meds at the following two links:
                  http://mommymeds.com/node/1001945
                  http://mommymeds.com/frequently-asked-questions/steroids

Please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
                  X