Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety of Prednisone during frequent nursing sessions

Hello,

My daughter is five months old and nurses every two hours, as well as throughout the night. I have a terrible cough that won't go away and have been prescribed 40mg of Prednisone for 5 days. Is this advised considering the frequency of nursing? Should a smaller dose and/or shorter course be considered? My baby doesn't take a bottle and is exclusively breastfed. Thanks so much for the help.

sj2017,

Prednisone is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 1.8-5.3% of your dose. Short term use is usually not a problem. The main concern is when it is high doses for prolonged periods of time that it may decrease the infants linear growth. We recommend for doses greater than 40mg to wait at least 4 hours to nurse, for your 40mg take it after you nurse and wait 2-3 hours to nurse as half of the medication will be out of your milk at that time.
    Some mothers are sensitive to steroids so it may decrease your milk supply, but it is usually when it is used at higher doses and for longer periods of time.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X