Valium for MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valium for MRI

I need to get an MRI with contrast done for my MS. I don't do well in confined spaces and am perscribed Valium. I am currently nursing my 8 week old. I know I should pump and dump because of the contrasting agent (but am unsure how long)- how long should I pump and dump because of the Valium? I know the half life is long. Is there something else I should ask for? I need to have my c spine and head scanned, both with and without contrast, so I will be in there awhile.

Pumpkin, thanks for posting,

Valium is given an L3 rating-probably compatible. The amount transferred into the breast milk is 0.88-7.14% of your dose. It does have a long half-life of 43 hours so it would not be preferred choice for long term use, but is probably ok for a one or two time dose for a procedure. Try and avoid the peak concentration time of 1-2 hours, and observe the infant for sedation, poor suckling, lethargy, and slowed breathing rate. If you do notice a marked sedation in the infant after breastfeeding wait a little longer to try and breastfeed again. The preferred benzodiazepines in breastfeeding are lorazepam and alprazolam each of them have a shorter half-life of 12-15 hours.

As for the contrast media we would need to know the exact name in order to advise you properly.

I hope this helps if you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by Sandra; 07-27-2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Pumpkin:

As for the contrast agent, they are virtually excluded from the milk compartment. Those studied thus far to do not really produce clinically relevant levels in milk.

I'd suggest you wait a few hours after the procedure, pump and discard, then go back to breastfeeding. All radiologists generally say pump and discard for 24 hours, but this is not necessary.

Tom Hale Ph.D.
      Infantrisk Center

Comment

Working...
      X