Anti-Anxiety Medication for Dental Procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Anxiety Medication for Dental Procedures

I have anxiety relating to dental procedures due to negative past experiences. I am in need of some dental work that will span 4 or 5 appointments over a couple months. My dentist has offered to write a prescription for some anti-anxiety medication to take prior to the procedures. She typically prescribes Valium, but can also offer Lorazepam. I also have a 9 month old who breastfeeds frequently (every 2.5-3 hours during the day). Which medication would be ideal to take before my procedures in this situation? Will there be any effect on my milk supply or need to pump and discard?

Thank you for your help.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Because you are using these drugs only once in a while, instead of a daily regimen, they will be about the same in terms of breastfeeding safety. About 1-7% of the Valium (diazepam) dose is transmitted to the baby via the milk. The number is more like 2-3% for lorazepam. The danger of these drugs comes from excessive sleepiness which is mostly a problem for new babies. There should be no effect on your milk supply. There is no need to discard your milk, the medication will be reabsorbed into your blood as your body gets rid of the drug.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X