Propofol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propofol

I am in need of a colonoscopy and will need to be put under with Propofol. Can I breastfeed afterwards or do I need to pump and dump a few times before I can resume? Also, can I still breastfeed while taking the laxative type drinks prior to the procedure?

Hi, thanks for your post.

Breastfeeding after propofol is just fine. This medication gets out of your blood very quickly (minutes) although it takes a week or so for all of it to completely leave your body. Your baby will be exposed to extremely small amounts through the breastmilk and it's unlikely that this will have any noticeable effect. A baby's body can easily clear small amounts of propofol without any trouble. Watch closely for any significant changes in your baby's sleep cycle for the week after the procedure. We give propofol an L2 safety rating (out of 5, "safer).

I think Dr. Hale addressed your laxative question elsewhere. There is more info on OTC laxatives here:
    http://mommymeds.com/node/1001945

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Admin - I just had propofol for an endoscopy and the anesthesiologist was adamant I need to pump & dump because the milk would remain tainted even if I felt fine hours later! Does the propofol leave breastmilk or does it linger. I don't want to pump at all. Thanks!!!

Comment

Cherialoha:

Small amounts of propofol may enter milk for days after use. But its not enough to have any clinical effect on the infant at all. Its kind of like many such drugs, they sort of leak out of the fat tissue and are picked up by the kidney for removal. Does a minuscule amount get into milk, yes, but not enough to have any clinical effect on the infant.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X