Relactating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relactating

Hi - I read a thread on Yellow Fever, which is a vaccination I will need to take for an international trip. I'm currently breastfeeding a 3 month old. I understand that I will need to stop for at least two weeks but my breasts tends to clog whenever I just purely pump so I have to wean my body right now. My question is, will I be able to relactate after 2 or 3 weeks and what are some things that can help after. I am a working mothers so unfortunately I will not be able to have her nurse at least 10 hours during the day. Thanks!

Monkichi:

According to CDC recommendations, all persons aged >9 months, traveling to, or living in areas of high yellow fever transmission should be vaccinated. For infants between 6-8 months of age, travel should preferably be avoided or postponed. But if travel is unavoidable, then a risk vs benefit assessment has to be made and the infant be vaccinated accordingly. Yellow fever vaccine is absolutely contra-indicated in infants 1-5 months of age. According to CDC, immunization of lactating mothers with infants <9 months of age, should preferably be avoided. However, if travel of a lactating mother to an endemic area cannot be avoided or postponed, or in situations where exposure to the yellow fever virus is high, then the potential benefits of the vaccine out weigh the potential risks, and immunization in such a situation should be considered.

Studies have found that in up to 80-100% of cases, the 17D vaccine virus is no longer present in maternal serum 10-13 days following vaccination. This would suggest that breastfeeding poses little risk to an infant 10-13 days after immunization.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X