Typhoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typhoid

Hi - I'm breastfeeding a three months old baby and have to take a Typhoid shot for an international trip. Can I continue to breastfeed after taking the vaccination? Thanks!

Monkichi:

Typhoid vaccine promotes active immunity against typhoid fever. It is available in an oral form (Ty21a) which is a live attenuated vaccine for oral administration.[1] The parenteral (injectable) form is derived from acetone-treated killed and dried bacteria, phenol-inactive bacteria, or a special capsular polysaccharide vaccine extracted from killed S. typhi Ty21a strains. Due to a limited lipopolysaccharide coating, the Ty21a strains are limited in their ability to produce infection. No data are available on its transfer into human milk. If immunization is required, the injectable form would be preferred, as infection of the neonate would be unlikely.

Tom Hale PH.D.

Comment

Typhoid - Oral

Thank you for your quick response. How about the oral Typhoid? What if I took that instead of the injectable form because I've heard that the oral has a higher percentage of protection? Thanks!

Comment

Monkichi:

I'd suggest the injectable, as it is killed. The oral is live but attenuated. Probably OK, but no real data on its safety.

Tom Hale

Comment

Working...
        X