Glucantime - Meglumine Antimonate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glucantime - Meglumine Antimonate

A mother of a one month old baby is prescribed meglumine antimonate injection, once daily IM for 21 days. I couldnt find any information on the safety of this medication. Are there any data on its safety in breastfeeding? Is it transferred to the baby?

Y[SIZE=14px][FONT=arial]omna:

There's no data at all on this product in a breastfeeding mother. While some Glucantime-Meglumine is sure to get into milk, it is virtually unabsorbed orally and must be administered via injection. So I doubt an infant will receive much.

Side effects in mom that should be considered for the infant as well include: [COLOR=#474747]Signs of potential side effects, especially, cardiotoxicity; hepatotoxicity; pancreatitis; anaphylactoid reaction; blood dyscrasias, such as anemia and leukopenia; dyspnea; facial edema; and nephrotoxicity.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#474747]Lastly, I cannot find whether [/COLOR][COLOR=#474747]Leishmaniasis is transferred via milk to an infant. I would assume so, but its not clear. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px][FONT=arial]Tom Hale Ph.D.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Yomna:

Just found this old paper on pentostam in human milk. Levels are low, and what's there is most likely unabsorbed orally.

Concentration of Pentostam in human breast milk. Jonathan Berman, et.al. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1989
      Volume: 83(6) pp 784-785

Comment

Working...
      X