Tricor (Fenofibrate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricor (Fenofibrate)

I have hereditary hypertriglyceridemia, that when untreated, if triglycerides become severely elevated, leads to pancreatitis. This has happened once before I knew of my condition. My triglycerides (lipid blood test in ER) were elevated to 2000. Normally, it is controlled very successfully by taking Tricor (not a statin), but during pregnancy and lactation, I was advised not to take it. I have been off meds for over 2 years now, due to pregnancy and nursing and my triglycerides are getting very high, so I know I will need to start meds soon. I have been able to find very little information about nursing while on Tricor and my doctors' answer to any question regarding any medication is to stop nursing. Is Tricor safe to take during lactation, or is there a safe alternative?

Np10279,

Tricor (fenofibrate) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]No data are available on its transfer into human milk however agents that reduce plasma cholesterol are not usually considered suitable for use in breastfeeding mothers. Milk levels of cholesterol are higher because the newborns need high levels of cholesterol for neurodevelopment. This and other hypocholesterolemic agents should probably not be used in breastfeeding mothers with exception of those with much older infants (>1 year). This is probably ok to use at this point since it sounds like your infant is older, just monitor your infant for weight gain and growth.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X