Leaking silicone breast implants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking silicone breast implants

There has recently been a lot in the press here about a French brand of silicone breast implants which have been found to be leaking. I have seen your monograph in Medications and Mothers' Milk 14th, but wondered if you have any more to add. Given the low bioavailibility of silicones, I realise it is unlikely to be an issue. I also wondered how easy it would be for a lab to test a women's breastmilk if she was concerned at all.

Many thanks,

Tricia Taylor
    Sydney, Australia

Tricia:

With these implants, it was the contaminants that were present that produced the side effects, not the silicone itself. As for testing, I think it would be possible, but you would have great difficulty ever finding a facility that could test for them. Perhaps the French may have such facilities, but I don't know of any.

I think the most important thing is get the implant removed and replaced with a good one.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Breastfeeding with leaking implant

My SIL is pregnant and discovered one of her silicone implants is leaking. Is there concern in breastfeeding on the leaking side? Should she pump/dump to be safe. She plans to breastfeed but unfortunately will not be able to correct the issue before baby's birth.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your post.

Silicone is present in a wide variety of foods including commercially available infant formula. So far, we have not found any problems in babies, other than some diarrhea from large exposures. Have her express a little breastmilk from that side prior to feeding and take a close look at it. If it appears more or less normal, go ahead and feed. If it is grossly bloody or obviously contaminated with a thick, clear gel, then pump and dump until the problem resolves.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD
        and
        -Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X