MoviPrep - Colonoscopy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoviPrep - Colonoscopy

I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy. I am supposed to take MoviPrep in preparation of the procedure. Am I okay to continue breastfeeding my LO while I take this solution? (Also.. does anyone know if it's okay to continue breastfeeding immediately after the procedure - I know they use IV meds to help me relax/sleep.)

Hi, thanks for your post.

MoviPrep is a combination of different substances that all act as osmotic laxatives. Their whole purpose is NOT to be absorbed and thereby draw water into your colon to clean it out. If something is not absorbed into your blood, there's no way it's getting into your milk.

As for the IV meds during the procedure, it is probably OK to breastfeed immediately afterward. It would be safer to wait about 4 hours before feeding again, so that more or the medication could be cleared first. It is not necessary to pump and dump your milk.

For anyone reading this, please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center, (806)352-2519, if this has not completely answered your question. You can also write back once you know what specific medications will be used in your procedure. I would also appreciate you filling out a 2 minute survey about your time on the forum:

https://tthsclubbock.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bJzhyKVSivVkQZL&Counselor=Web

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X