tramadol and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tramadol and breastfeeding

Hi! I have been taking 50 - 100 mg of tramadol fro the last month and a half for cysts and endometrosis ( sp?). the most i take a day is 100mg at one time or 75mg (ill split one in half) or my lowest was 25mg. My question are any of these doses dangerous to my son? would you classify the amount of time ive been taking them as "long term"? He was a full term baby weighing 7lbs 50z. When i started taking the meds, he was 5 months and now he's 6 and 1/2 months almost 7 at 21 lbs. i dont take any other meds expect for this.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Tramadol is generally compatible with breastfeeding at any dose. Watch your child for sedation (not waking up for feedings). The medication level is at its highest 2 hours after you take your dose, so try to avoid breastfeeding around that time.

Try to take your meds at a consistent time of day and take the same amount each day. Your baby should develop a tolerance pretty quickly. There is no long term issue with this medication; the effects are day-to-day.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X