low dose oral minoxidil 1.25 mg daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low dose oral minoxidil 1.25 mg daily

Oral minoxidil 1.25 mg daily has been suggested by dermatologist to treat longstanding (8 years) female pattern hair loss in a young woman who is breastfeeding a two month old infant.

On reviewing the Hale's Meds info on minoxidil, a higher dose is assumed.

Would this very low oral dose by considered likely compatible with breastfeeding or best deferred until after weaning?

She is already supplementing iron, vitamin D for low levels and is using topical minoxidil without effect (though dermatologist has reminded her that 9+ months expected for full hair growth cycle). She is considering starting oral spironolactone as well, which seems more clearly likely compatible with breastfeeding.

Please comment on lactation concerns of this very low dose of oral minoxidil for this use, for a full term infant. Thank you.

Halplinlactation:

I'm sorry but there are not many options for treatment of Alopecia while breastfeeding. However, the 1.25 mg dose is probably Ok, I just can't tell you how safe it is for the infant. I'd monitor the infants blood pressure before and after using this med however.

There are several NEW drugs coming available in the next year of so that are really work well, but they are not too ideal for breastfeeding moms.

My suggestion for this mom would be to take the drug (1.25 mg) before the longest non-breastfeeding interval so that plasma levels will drop. It has a half life of about 4 hours, so waiting 4-6 hours to feed would reduce the infants exposure significantly.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X