Chemical Exposure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemical Exposure

This isn't a medication, but hopefully you can point me in the right direction. I have an exclusively breastfeeding mom who plans to return to full-time work when baby is approximately 12 weeks old. She works in the aerospace field and dips parts into acetone, alcohol or methyl ethyl ketone. She wears a respiratory and gloves while she works but is rightly concerned about her breastmilk. Any advice?
    WIC LC

Dear Wiclc

As a general rule I would say if a mum cant smell it, then she is probably not ingesting it. Mum must make sure that her employer is following all relevant OSHA (Occupation Safety and Hazard Administration) safety and health standards. She must use all personal protective equipment provided (masks, gloves, ear plugs, etc). Chemicals used must be safe, and they must use a proper ventilation system to clean the air and minimize risks.

Therefore, if mum is using all the protective equipment, her employer is following OSHA guidelines, and she generally can not smell the chemicals when working with them, then it is probably okay for her to breastfeed. For further questions please contact the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519.

Tassneem Abdel Karim MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X