Amalgam filling and dental work while breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amalgam filling and dental work while breastfeeding

I recently went to the dentist for a cleaning and I found out I have 4 cavities! I am currently breastfeeding my 7 month old and would like to continue at least until she is one year old. The cavities are all in between my back 4 teeth and the dentist said I shouldn’t wait more than a month or two so they don’t get worse. One tooth actually needs a crown because it is cracked. Two of the teeth that have cavities have amalgam fillings. The one that needs a crown is one of the ones with the amalgam filling. I have read other posts and know the recommendations of cold water, suction, alternate oxygen source and dental dam when dealing with amalgam fillings. My dentist said she can do all of these things. With all of that, can I resume nursing after my procedure? The dentist recommended I pump and dump once right after because of the numbing shot, but wasn’t concerned about any mercury. Do I need to be concerned about mercury getting on me during the procedure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to ensure my milk is safe for my baby after. Thank you so much!

It sounds like your dentist is very proactive and safe.. I’d suggest you wait about 4-6 hours after the procedure. Fortunately mercury is rapidly cleared from the plasma and from milk. This short wait would be advised.

i think it should be fine. After all we all live with mercury in our diet and we can clear it to some degree.

Tom Hale Ph.D

Comment

Working...
    X