Having Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Surgery

I’m having surgery March 5th to remove a disk from my neck (I’ve been dealing with a large amount of pain and migraines for almost 2 years). They will be giving me Versed, Sentanol, Propalfol, and Drecadron plus gases for the surgery. Afterward they will be giving me Valium and oxycodone to take home. I’m hoping to be able to breastfeed through all of this as my 5 month old is exclusively breastfeed and doesn’t like bottles or pacifiers. After I had her I was on ocycodone for 2 weeks plus an antibiotic and my daughter was just fine and my OB was fine with it too. Can I breastfeed through all of this?

Sheena2charlie,

We recommend waiting a minimum of 4 hours after your surgery. If you are fully awake awake at that time you could nurse, if not wait until you do not feel any effects from the medications. The most common anesthetics used are versed, propofol, fentanyl, a steroid like Decadron, an antibiotic, and neuromuscular blocking agents like Zemuron, and a gas like Sevoflurane. We recommend not to use Demerol as it has such a long half-life. (Check your list and spellings I believe these are the meds you are referring to).

Oxycodone is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 1- 8% of your dose. We recommend short term use is probably ok if you do not exceed 30mg in 24 hours and wait 2-3 hours to nurse after a dose. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, pallor, difficulty feeding, constipation and apnea.

Valium is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 0.88-7.14% of your dose. "Some reports of lethargy, sedation, and poor suckling have been found. The acute use such as in surgical procedures is not likely to lead to significant accumulation. Long-term, sustained therapy may prove troublesome. The benzodiazepine family, as a rule, is not ideal for breastfeeding mothers due to relatively long half-lives and the development of dependence." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). We say short term use is probably ok as long as your infant is not symptomatic, but because of the long half-life of 43 hours long term use may lead to bad side effects. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, apnea if too sedated, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X