diclectin use while breastfeeding toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diclectin use while breastfeeding toddler

I used Diclectin in my previous pregnancy due to severe nausea and it helped a lot. As I just posted previously, I am now breastfeeding my toddler and would potentially be breastfeeding him during pregnancy if I was successful. What's the research on the safety of Diclectin while breastfeeding? Thanks. north

north,

Diclectin is a combination medication of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine) 10mg and doxylamine 10mg per tablet. Pyridoxine is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. You do not want to take high dose of this vitamin because it transfers readily into breast milk and high doses have been associated with seizures, so we recommend to not exceed 40mg a day. Doxylamine is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. This medication is the active ingredient of Unisom which is a sleep aide so it can be sedating, but the doses in Diclectin are smaller (10mg per tablet) rather than a Unisom tablet that is 25mg per tablet. Take the medication after you breastfeed where you have a break before breastfeeding again. We recommend not to exceed 4 tablets per day of the Diclectin. Monitor your infant for Sedation or irritability, apneas, urinary retention, constipation and vomiting.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X