Prilosec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prilosec

I am currently bfing my 5 month old and my doctor prescribed me Omeprazole (Prilosec) 20mg because I am having constant heartburn/indigestion. I told him that I was bfing so he wouldn't prescribe me anything that would be harmful for baby. My question is, is this safe to take while bfing? Baby seems to be more irritable today and I just want to make sure that could not be the cause. If this shouldn't be taken while bfing could you suggest something I can have him switch to?
    Thanks,
    Honesty

Dear Honesty,

Omeprazole (Prilosec) is a potent inhibitor of gastric acid secretion. Omeprazole poses little risk to a breastfeeding infant. Levels in milk are low (one percent of maternal dose), and it is unstable in the stomach at low pH. Virtually all omeprazole ingested via milk would probably be destroyed in the stomach of the infant prior to absorption. It is usually best to breastfeed first then take your dose. Waiting three hours after the dose before returning to breastfeeding would decrease risk. Observe your infant for diarrhea.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X