Clomid while breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clomid while breastfeeding

I am currently breastfeeding my 22 month old, at most 3 times a day. Usually just nap and bedtime and then the occasional middle of the night. My OB would like for me to try Clomid in order to conceive, however she is not sure if I can do so while breastfeeding. I have googled and your name comes up but I can not find any real research or clear answers. My husband is an emergency physician and will be purchasing your book as well. Thank you so much for your help!!

Dear rwmalizia,

Clomiphene (Clomid) appears to stimulate the release of the pituitary gonadotropins, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), and luteinizing hormone (LH), which result in development and maturation of the ovarian follicle, ovulation, and subsequent development and function of the corpus luteum. It has both estrogenic and anti-estrogenic effects. Clomiphene appears in some studies to be effective in suppressing lactation when used up to 4 days postpartum. In other studies done early postpartum, no changes in plasma prolactin levels (hormone needed for milk production) or milk production were noted. Further, its efficacy in reducing milk production in women, months after lactation is established, is unknown but believed to be minimal. Usually we caution breastfeeding mothers about the use of this product due to the risk of decreasing milk production. Since your child is older and not dependent on breastmilk for nutrition, the risk to your child is minimal. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X