Methimazole with breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methimazole with breastfeeding

I'm currently taking methimazole, 10 mg taken 3 x a day (30 mg total). My dr and everything I've read says to wait 3 hours after taking before nursing again. My son is 5 months and sometimes will nurse every 2 hours. Occasionally he will want to nurse again sooner. Is it ok to only wait an hour or two before nursing again? I'm worried about it affecting his thyroid as well. Thank you!

Hi, thanks for your post.

After you take a medication, it takes a while for it to end up in your milk. The studies we have indicate that it takes about 2-4 hours for the drug to be digested and make its way into the milk. In other words, breastfeeding 3 hours after your dose means feeding him when the methimazole concentration is likely near its peak.

http://www.infantrisk.com/content/avoid-peak

However, it is unlikely that even this amount of the drug will affect his thyroid very much. If you're still worried about it, we recommend avoiding the period when there is the most drug in your milk. You should also have your son's thyroid function tested a month or so after you start the medication. That will provide some solid information about whether or not the durg is affecting him.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X