Entyvio and breastfeeding a 26 month old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entyvio and breastfeeding a 26 month old

I have Crohn's disease and it's a possibility I may be getting on a newly approved drug called Entyvio (Vedolizumab). Since this is a new drug, I know there aren't really any studies on it as far as breastfeeding in humans. What are you thoughts on breastfeeding a toddler on this? I am currently on Imuran, and I think it would be likely I stay on that with Entyvio.

Hi, thanks for your post.

You're right, there are no published studies on vedolizumab in breastfeeding women. The initial animal studies found the drug in the milk of monkeys, but I don't know to what degree. It has been our experience with other monoclonal antibodies that they are mostly destroyed in the child's stomach and don't end up being absorbed. Furthermore, the risk of medication exposure of any kind decreases as the child ages. Older children consume much less breastmilk relative to body weight compared to an infant and their ability to process medications is often close to that of adults. Side effects in the baby would likely be the same as in adults (headache, joint pain, nausea, fevers, or frequent infections).

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X