Phentermine and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phentermine and breastfeeding

Hello, my daughter is 1 year old. I was recently put on phentermine 37.5 MG for obvious reasons. I have quit breastfeeding my daughter and attempted to wing her, however she is proving to dislike any and all bottles cups or straws alongside the taste for any other milk other then my own and I had a very long night with her and fell asleep with her around 3 am I woke to her nursing on me. This would be a very usual occurrence for me so I didn't even notice!! She is sneaky!! I can zero info on the risk to her or what I should observant of? Is my daughter at risk of anything life threatening?

We do not recommend breastfeeding while taking this. This information comes from our database--

"Phentermine is an appetite suppressant that is similar to the amphetamine family. As such it frequently produces CNS stimulation.[1] No data are available on its transfer into human milk. This product has a very small molecular weight (186 Daltons); therefore, it most likely would transfer into human milk in significant quantities. It could produce a variety of adverse effects in the infant such as changes in sleep, irritability, hypertension, vomiting, tremor and weight loss. The use of this product in breastfeeding mothers would be difficult to justify and is not advised." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

As a 1 time occurrence the risk should be lower than taking a daily dose and we would recommend to monitor baby for any symptoms. ​Symptoms to monitor for would be excitement, irritability, or changes in sleep patterns.

Sally Bain RN
    Infant Risk Center

Comment

Working...
    X