Breastfeeding and COVID vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and COVID vaccine

Hi, I am considering getting the covid vaccine and am nursing my 9 month old. I read the statement on the main page about it probably being low risk. I also read that there have been a few studies in preprint that found significantly more antibodies in the milk of breast feeding mothers who had the covid vaccine versus the breast milk of mother who had a natural covid infection. My question is then is it possible for the infant to be exposed to too many antibodies from the mothers milk since the vaccine is apparently causing a higher amount of antibodies than natural infection? I don’t know if this is the case with most vaccines anyways. I hope this makes sense. Thank you for your time and expertise.

Hi Awarren5,

We've been pleased with the data coming out on the COVID vaccination! You're right about vaccines creating higher antibody titers than infections--it's expected from vaccines. I don't think you need to worry about too many maternal antibodies. In this case, the more the better. If there is no virus, they simply wait on alert. Once they detect the virus, you want as many antibodies as possible to neutralize the threat of infection.

Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

Okay. Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
      X