Sumatriptan 100mg Tablets for Migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sumatriptan 100mg Tablets for Migraines

Hi, I notice many of the post discuss imitrex (sumatriptan) intranasal and liquid injections. I realize that studies were done for a projection of 6mg. However, what happens when the dose is much higher, say 50mg to 100mg and not an injection but a pill. Does the outcome change? As an example, my migraines have returned. I nursed at midnight, then at 1am I took a 50mg tablet/pill and pumped my milk at 6:30am, 8:30am, 10:30am, 12:30pm and 2:30pm. I dumped this milk to be on the safe side. My daughter did not receive any milk after I took the initial dose at 1am. I plan on nursing at 4:30pm once I arrive home. Does this sound reasonable? I understand the shelf life is shorter for the injection but what about the tablets that are in higher doses? Please help! Thank you.

samyscraps,

Imitrex (sumatriptan) is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 3.5% of your dose. A normal oral dose is 25-100mg. We recommend waiting 2-3 hours (which is the half-life of this medication) after a dose to nurse and to monitor your infant for drowsiness, vomiting, poor feeding.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

I am taking roughly between 25mg and 50mg of the oral dose of Sumatriptan. Even after I wait 8 hours, I still see a lot of fussiness and difficulty in having a bowel movement in my 4 month old.

Should I be waiting longer than 8 hours to nurse?
      Should I be pumping and dumping the milk in the meanwhile?
      How is breastfeeding triggering my migraines?
      I'm basically pulling 2-3 migraines a week and severe ones, with nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and sound. I was doing this in my first trimester and before I was pregnant. It's hereditary for me. However, it seems to be occurring more than it was before i was pregnant. Is there any other recommendations besides medication, ice packs, staying away from triggers? Like vitamins, supplements, I mean anything at all that might help even in the slightest? I am at the brink of ceasing nursing because my migraines have become so debilitating.

Comment

samyscraps,

Sumatriptan only has a half-life of 2-3 hours. It would be about 87-93% out at 8 hours. Your infant may just be sensitive to this medication, but I do not see constipation as a side effect even in adults. I wonder if your infants fussiness maybe due to constipation, you may need to discuss this with your pediatrician. If you are having migraines this often you may need to be on a preventive medication such as some of the beta blockers such as propranolol or metoprolol, or a tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline, or they have been using Riboflavin (vitamin B2) at 400mg a day for migraines.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
        X