X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regret Azzalure (Botox) injections and want to continue nursing

Dear Dr. Hale,

i really hope you can advise me.
    i live in the Netherlands and till last week I have nursed my 7 month old baby.
    i thought I was mentally ready to start weaning and started about a month ago with formula and ended up only feeding him in the morning and at night.
    As I decided to stop, I scheduled an appointment to get botox (the clinic uses the brand Azzalure) in my forehead and crowfeets and a small dose of Restylane to soften my nose-mouthlines.
    This is now 2,5 days ago and I haven’t breastfeed my baby since then, I pumped&dumped these days.
    My baby now has started teethening and I feel so bad and extremely guilty that I can not comfort him with breastmilk.
    Please advise me if I can continue nursing him at some point.

I read at this forum you consider it to be safe as the botox doesn’t enter the plasma and its molecules are too big to enter the breastmilk, but my online research showed me that the size of the molecules of azzalure is smaller then botox.
    Also was wondering if it depends on the dose (I had treated 2 zones) and I was considering that the upcoming months both the botox and filler will be broken down in the metabolic system and that may effect the quality of my breastmilk?
    Is there any chance my baby would be harmed by breastfeeding now?

Thank you so much for your help.

Kind regards,

A very worried mother

Mom:

Botox (Trade name) is really large in molecular weight and does not enter milk. Impure forms, or poor quality generics may have lower molecular weight forms which might be dangerous.

In the USA, the tradenames that have been approved by the FDA are Botox, Dysport and Xeomi. I understand that Dysport is the same as Azzalure.

Thus, I always suggest moms check to be sure that they are using the "Botox" or other APPROVED products.

If you physician used a good brand, then there is nothing to worry about.

Tom Hale PH.d.

Comment

Dear Dr. Hale,

First of all: Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questuon with regards to using Botox while nursing a baby.
      There is just one part of my question that is left unanswered, that is the use of the dermal filler Restylane.
      I hope you have the time to get back with me on that part and let me know if this has any influence on the quality of my breastmilk.
      Thank you again in advance!

Comment

Momwantstodoitright,

Restylane is hyaluronic acid.

"There are no data available on the transfer of hyaluronic acid into breastmilk, but it would be minimal to nil. The repeating chains can be quite large, and therefore size would prohibit any drug that did get absorbed from transferring into the milk compartment. It would not be orally bioavailable in the infant. Therefore, hyaluronic acid is probably of no risk to a breastfed infant." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Originally posted by Momwantstodoitright View Post
          Dear Dr. Hale,

First of all: Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questuon with regards to using Botox while nursing a baby.
          There is just one part of my question that is left unanswered, that is the use of the dermal filler Restylane.
          I hope you have the time to get back with me on that part and let me know if this has any influence on the quality of my breastmilk.
          Thank you again in advance!

Can I ask did you continue to breastfeed??

Comment

Hi guys I really hope although this is an old post someone gets back to me. I got azzalure yesterday thinking I was getting Botox as in the “Botox “ brand which I know has larger molecules and will not ppass into the breast milk. To my horror I found out mid treatment it was azzalure. Could someone please tell me if I can breastfeed. I am so distracted. please and thank you

Comment

Elle18:

Not to worry, Azzalure is just the European name for the same botulinum Toxin A as is in Botox. So, we generally recommend waiting a few hours AFTER the injection for any botulinum toxin in the plasma compartment to disappear before beastfeeding. Its unlikely, but possible some does reach the plasma.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you so so much for getting back to me. I really appreciate it. It has now been 3 days since treatment, if any Botox did get into the plasma (blood) would it be gone now? I still feel so uncomfortable feeding my baby, finally last question, as the azzalure wears off where does it go? Is it dangerous for a baby breastfeeding as it wears off? I can’t find any material on this aspect. Thanks in advance for your help on my last 2 questions.

Comment

Elle: Any "free Botox" would be be long gone by 3 days.
                  Botox is a protein, and is rapidly metabolized when in the plasma, somewhat slower in tissues. Its simply broken down into smaller peptides and eliminated. Lastly, if YOU are not feeling any effects, then its not in your plasma, nor in your milk.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Dear Dr Hale.

I am am in a panick. I decided to have Botox on Tuesday and I am nursing my four month old baby. The doctor never even asked if I am breastfeeding and I totally did not think of the consequence of it going into my milk. I am in such a state. I have read your posts so I think I just want reassurance. I have been feeding baby as normal.. It is now five days later .. Can I stop stressing ?

Comment

Nix: Stop stressing. Botox is so large that it doesn't even enter milk. I generally suggest waiting a few hours after the procedure and then returning to breastfeeding IF the mom is feeling OK.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

I didn't wait though.. I did feel absolutely fine though and this is already five days later.. I feel better though to hear your response and thank you for replying promptly.. Of course as parents we just want to do right

Comment

Working...
                        X