Eye dialation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye dialation

Went to an eye exam and got my eyes dilated. Assistant asked if I was nursing after the doc already gave me the drops. Will the drops harm baby if I already nursed? The names are Praparacaine hydrochloride and mydriacyl.

honeybear,

We would advise to wait 3-4 hours after receiving Mydriacyl to breastfeed. Since you are asking after you already breastfed we would advise to monitor your infant for sedation, mydriasis (dilation of the pupil), dry mouth, vomiting. The proparacaine is probably ok, it is just a local anesthetic.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    Infant Risk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Hi, what about Paremyd drops for dilation (Hydroxyamphetamine hydrobromide / tropicamide)? Is waiting 3-4 hours advised? I have my milk from that time frame pumped and saved, pending further direction but want to be sure that it's safe.

Comment

Imamama,

We would recommend waiting 3-4 hours to use your milk so if you pumped and saved the milk during that time I would suggest discarding that pumping.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

I did not wait more than 1 hour. Is that ok?

Comment

Honeybear:

I'm sure its ok to breastfeed. But if you stored your milk and want to feed it to your infant, why take the risk (even thought low) for a few oz of milk. I'd discard it.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
            X