Atomoxetine (strattera) and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atomoxetine (strattera) and breastfeeding

Hi I used to take strattera before i tried for my baby. She is now nearly 4 months old and they consultant and pharmacists want me to go on a low dose of 20mg and monitor my baby girl....

im not sure I am happy with this as a risk to her health. Has anyone exclusively breastfed on atomoxetine besides the limited data available ?

abrightfutureahead,

Strattera is rated an L4-no data-possibly hazardous."Because this is a lipophilic, neuroactive drug, there is some potential risk with its use in a breastfeeding mother, and mothers should probably be cautioned about its use while breastfeeding." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Thomas Hale PhD.) This is not the best option for breastfeeding, but if you decide to breastfeed and take this medication wait at least 3-4 hours after a dose to nurse and monitor your infant for agitation, irritability, poor sleep patterns, tremors and poor weight gain. If your infant becomes symptomatic we recommend stopping the medication, switching the medication or stop breastfeeding.

Methylphenidate would be preferred. It is an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is only 0.2-0.4% of your dose. It would be less likely to cause side effects in your infant, nonetheless, monitor your infant for agitation, irritability, poor sleeping patterns, changes in feeding, poor weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519
    Last edited by admin; 04-27-2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X