Peppermint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peppermint

I just found the recent article on the use of herbal supplements during pregnancy and breastfeeding.... It's much appreciated!

I have one question... The article says

"Peppermint oil should also not be used in women who breastfeed because it has been shown to suppress lactation."

Can you point me to the source for this information?

I see a lot of questions about it in breastfeeding support forums, from moms who are so worried about peppermint decreasing supply that they're afraid to eat candy canes at Christmas, yet I've never been able to find any research on it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by verity; 09-26-2015, 05:16 PM. Reason: having trouble with formatting

Still hoping for info on this...

Is there any data on peppermint oil suppressing milk production?

Comment

Verity,

I could not locate any articles on Pubmed or on the Natural Standard database concerning the suppression of breast milk with the use of peppermint. Amounts commonly found in foods is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) in the US, but we do not recommend using herbal products medicinally as they have not been studied and are not FDA regulated. I do not think eating a few peppermint candies should effect moms supply.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
      InfantRisk Center
      806-352-2519

Comment

I'm not sure how you would be using the peppermint.... but I am familiar with essential oils and I do know that the use of peppermint essential oils will decrease milk production. I have had to stay away from it while nursing. Hope this helps.

Comment

[COLOR=#373737][FONT=Museo Sans 300][SIZE=13px]According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, peppermint oil was used traditionally in ancient Greece as a digestive aid and was also inhaled as a cough remedy. It has also been used to treat irritable bowel syndrome and relieve congestion, headaches and nausea. A woman experiencing the changing hormones of pregnancy may be eager to find relief from some of those issues, especially nausea and headaches.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
          X