Moringa leaf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moringa leaf

I look forward to your expertise concerning Moringa leaf safety and efficacy as a galactagogue in pregnancy and when breastfeeding.

Lynda:

First, it should not at all be used in pregnancy. Abortion, and potential fetal toxicity is a known to result from the benzyl isothiocyanate present in this herb.[1,2]

There are at least two articles that 'suggest' it may be a galactagogue, but I've not been able to get them. It has a lot of potential anticancer agents and is a plant of interest in cancer chemotherapy. That said, these are not the kind of things you would want to expose an infant to via milk.

I would suggest it is not an ideal product for a pregnant or breastfeeding mother to use.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

1. Bose CK. Possible role of Moringa oleifera Lam. root in epithelial ovarian cancer. MedGenMed 2007;9:26.

2. Fahey JW. Moringa oleifera: A review of the medical evidence for its nutritional, therapeutic, and prophylactic properties. Part 1. Trees for Life Journal 2005;1:5.
    Last edited by admin; 08-16-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Have you seen this study?

Dr. Hale,
      I would like your reaction to this study published in the Philippine Journal of Pediatrics: http://www.golacta.com/reports/Estrella-Mantaring%20Study.pdf

Comment

This is a second study that was undertaken using Malunggay: http://quinexmoringa.webs.com/Studies/moringa-study-as-a-galactagogue.pdf

Do you feel that these studies used faulty methodology? I agree that there definitely needs to be further research, but I hate to see you completely discount its use as a galactagogue.

Comment

Glorick:

Sorry, but the evidence is a bit weak for this drug. I still do not know that it is safe to use in breastfeeding mothers.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Dr Hale, sorry but you are wrong. Moringa leaf raw, cooked or in powder form is perfectly safe to take during pregnancy (as a matter of fact it is a great source of nutrients) and is considered a natural galactagogue. You are confusing the leafs with the bark, roots and seeds which can be toxic and can induce uterine contractions leading to an abortion.

In addition, in the Philippines Moringa is known as the Malunggay Tree which is what is used in the product called Go-Lacta

Comment

Dr. Hale obviously has little knowledge of it. I've been using it for many years now. It's a superfood! If you're gonna use it specifically to increase breast milk, look for a good brand that's pure and all-natural and formulated to increase lactation. Some brands use mature leaves, the young malunggay leaves are the most effective. Although quite expensive, go for quality.

Comment

Hello Dr Hale, I am hoping you can circle back to the topic of Moringa/Malunggay. Lactation consultants are enthusiastic about its potential galactogogue properties. Would you mind taking another look at the available data as of 2019 and commenting about its safety? Don't feel compelled to comment on its efficacy (although that is welcome, too)! Thanks, Dr Ari Brown

Comment

Working...
                X