Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boric Acid Again!

Hi,
    I saw the answer in May 2019 re: boric acid, but wanted to ask about 1/2 life and frequency. I know there is no real data with boric acid, and I saw the comment that around 6% is absorbed systemically from a vaginal insertion of a 600 mg dose. I know boron is toxic ingested so I am trying to very careful. Is my math correct in that would equal around a 36mg "dose" in my blood and potentially milk supply? How long would that last?

I ask because I am currently nursing my 13 month old only once in the evening, before bed. I have been fighting recurrent vaginal infections for 6 months and am at my wits end, I'm ready to quit breastfeeding if I need to to get my infection cleared up, but I'd love to keep the one nursing session through this winter and and flu season if I could.

I am wondering if I did a boric acid suppository immediately after nursing in the evening, and then went 24 hours before nursing again-- do you think whatever boric acid was in my milk supply would be out by then? How long would be a "safe" time to wait to breastfeed again if I wanted to ideally have none left in my milk supply?

Thank you so much, I am so glad this forum exists.

Wdax:

boric acid half life is 10.5 hours. If you used it following the evening breastfeeding, levels in milk would be lower, but I'm not sure how low. I really doubt that at 13 months your infant is getting enough milk to produce much of a dose of boric acid...but who knows for sure.

Sorry, I can't give you more data but we simply don't know anything.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Dr. Hale - I am wondering if there is any new data on Boric Acid. I have a mom who is wondering how long she needs to wait after her last dose of vagiinal Boric Acid to begin to feed her milk to her baby. Her baby is about 3 months old.

Thank you!

Comment

Intouchpeds:

We know very little about boric acid, but it has been used for the last 40 years vaginally in women and in some breastfeeding mothers. I simply can't tell you if it's safe or not for a breastfeeding mother and I worry some that it might penetrate the milk compartment. That said its half life is about 10-11 hours. I'd suggest if the mom wants to be real careful, she should wait about 24 hours after its last use vaginally.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X