Boric acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boric acid

I have been trying to kick a BV infection and have done 2 rounds of different antibiotics. I asked my doctor about trying Boric acid vaginally and she said it was fine but to ask infant risk on safety with a breastfeeding baby. She is 10 months and is starting to self wean anyway, I just would like to try it sooner than she will probably fully wean. Thanks!

Mrsh:

We don't have any breastfeeding data on Boric acid used vaginally. When used in a vaginal suppository, systemic absorption of boric acid is around 6%. The vaginal dose studied was 600 mg. Severely denuded vaginal epithelium may increase absorption considerably. Symptoms include GI disturbances, erythematous skin eruptions, and signs of CNS stimulation followed by depression. GI disturbances include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, epigastric pain, and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis; vomiting is often persistent.

An acceptable safe oral boron intake for adults could be between 1 and 20 mg/day. Tolerable upper intake levels (UL) for boron are: adults 19 years and older, 20 mg/day; adolescents 14 to 18 years of age, 17 mg/day; children 9 to 13 years of age, 11 mg/day; children 4 to 8 years of age, 6 mg/day; children 1 to 3 years of age, 3 mg/day. For the treatment of vulvovaginal candidiasis, boric acid intravaginally 600 mg once or twice daily for 2 weeks has been used; for the prevention of recurring vulvovaginal candidiasis boric acid intravaginally 600 mg twice weekly has been used.(Natural Products Database)

I don't think this product would enter milk significantly, but its a possibility. Observe your infant for Gi side effects.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
    X