Stopping Domperidone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping Domperidone

Dr. Hale, does domperidone require a titration when stopping? Thank you.

ertzberg:

Yes, you should taper slowly off of domperidone. If you are using a high dose (> 80 mg/day), then I'd suggest you taper over at least a month. I've had a recent case report of a patient who suffered a lot of symptoms upon withdrawal but her dose much much higher than this.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Could you recommend a tapering dose?

Comment

Dear Kipsmom,

Assuming you are currently taking 20 mg four times per day of domperidone, decrease to 20 mg three times per day for three to four days, then decrease to 10 mg four times per day for three to four days. Every three to four days; thereafter, stop one of your 10 mg doses until you are totally off. If you are on a different dose, please repost.

Sincerely,
        Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
        TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Is there any information on how long withdrawal symptoms last if an adverse effect is felt stopping the domperidone?

Comment

Dear lollyp,

The half-life (time it takes for half of the drug to be eliminated from your system) is 70 hours for domperidone. It takes six half-lives for all the drug to be eliminated. I am not sure if your symptoms would be resolved by then but would recommend for you to be seen by your primary care physician.

Sincerely,
            Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
            TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
            X