Increasing Milk Supply While Pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Milk Supply While Pregnant

Hi. I have a mom who is breastfeeding a 7 month old and has recently confirmed a new pregnancy (her third). During her second pregnancy she was bresatfeeding her first baby (then about 18 months) and had a huge decrease in supply. Her toddler essentially weaned as a result and went back to breastfeeding after the new baby arrived. Now she is concerned that her milk supply will again falter with this pregnancy and that her baby may have to have formula since she is still too young to be sustained only on solids. Can you tell me about any potential risks or concerns for taking domperidone, fenugreek, blessed thistle, etc during pregnancy? Thanks, Carrie

Increasing Milk Supply While Pregnant

Dear celsden,
    I would not recommend that this mom take galactogogues while pregnant. During pregnancy, milk supply will decrease as part of the body's natural process to get itself ready for the new baby. If you have any further questions, contact us at the InfantRisk Center (806)352-2519.
    Maria Milla, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Annmarienb:

As for Motherlove's More Milk Two, who knows if this stuff really works, I doubt anyone has any clear data on its efficacy. We now have a good case report on Fenugreek, that suggests it is no better than placebo.

I'm sorry, I know how desperate many women are to breastfeed and that they'll grasp at anything that someone suggests works. But I still hold to using products we know work, such as Reglan and Domperidone.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
      X