Ozempic and Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozempic and Breastfeeding

I am currently breastfeeding my 2 year old and 9 month old and have PCOS. I’ve been on metformin for years and I find it to be very hard still on my stomach and not as effective as I would like. I have been looking for info on ozempic and the risk to breastfeeding children of my children’s ages and finding very little information. Any info on the risk to my children if my dr and I decide to consider Ozempic?

Thank you!

Hi Jen410,

Unfortunately, there is no evidence available from human research for your question. However, our estimation is that it will only be present in milk in low concentrations (it is a large molecule and highly protein-bound in your blood, preventing large degrees of transfer into milk). Another factor in your favor is that oral absorption of the drug is poor--that's why it comes as an injectable product. I would estimate any risk from contaminated milk will be low for both of your children.

Dr. Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

Thank you! This is very helpful!

Comment

Have their been any updates on ozempic or wegovy breast milk transmission data? Any unpublished data? If this is something my doctor and I decide to proceed with, could I send in some of my breast milk to have it screened for Semaglutide? Thank you!

Comment

Aathomp90,

We don't have any unpublished data (yet) but you're welcome to donate your milk to the biorepository. Here is the link to get started: [url]https://infantrisk.com/help-infantrisk-research[/url]

Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

Working...
          X