'New Studies' on Estrogen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'New Studies' on Estrogen

I was recently asked my thoughts about giving mothers estrogen containing birth control as the 'new research available shows that it doesn't affect milk supply'. I have not seen any new research. Is this accurate information? Also, would there be any concern for the child of the amount of estrogen they would be receiving on a daily bases?

Thanks,
    Jessica

Dear Jessica,

Ethinyl estradiol is one of the common estrogenic agents in oral contraceptives. Although small amounts of estrogens may pass into breastmilk, the effects of estrogens on the infant appear minimal. In one study, ethinyl estradiol was not detected in breastmilk after administration of 50 µg/day. After adminstration of 500 µg/day, the level in breastmilk was approximately 300 pg/mL. Early post-partum use of estrogens may reduce volume of milk produced and the protein content, but it is variable, controversial, and depends on dose and the individual. Breastfeeding mothers should attempt to wait until lactation is firmly established (6-8 weeks) prior to use of estrogen-containing oral contraceptives. There are some mothers who are more sensitive to estrogens and progestins so they should observe their milk supply closely after starting these hormonal contraceptives, but they are not contraindicated during breastfeeding.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X