Lo Loestrin Fe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lo Loestrin Fe

I am a lactation consultant who is working with a mother who noticed a drop in her milk supply 2.5 weeks after starting Lo Loestrin Fe. Her OBGYN told her that studies so far show it does not decrease milk supply in bf mothers but that he hasn't prescribed it for many women yet. She took the chance with the estrogen because she was not confident she would be able to remember to take the mini-pill. She stopped the Lo Loestrin and nursed and pumped more frequently and her supply was back up within 2-3 days. She started the Lo Loestrin at 8.5 weeks postpartum.

My question: are there any studies/research on this contraception yet related to milk supply? I would like to be able to advise mothers correctly and also get information to our local OBGYNs and midwives.

Thank you!
    Last edited by annmarienb; 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM.

Annmarienb:

I checked pubmed and I cannot find but two studies on Lo Loestrin Fe and neither were about milk production. As with all estrogen-containing birth control pills, breastfeeding mothers stand a high risk of loosing their milk supply due to the the estrogen content. Fortunately, this mom recognized this and was able to get her supply back.

Sorry, estrogens always seem to do this.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Hi there, let me share here with you a site I have been using to track my ovulation period and I hope it could also help others. [url]http://www.ovulation-predictor.org/ovulation/[/url]

Comment

Working...
      X