Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall and exclusively breastfed 6 month old

Dr. Hale,

I am exclusively breastfeeding my 6 month-old and made the decision to stop taking my medication (previously Adderall 35 mg XR) when I found out I was pregnant and have not taken any amount since then. Both my psychiatrist and pediatrician gave me the green light to resume a low dosage of Adderall. In your opinion, is this safe to resume? And if so, what dosage is low enough that it would pose the least amount of a risk to my little one?

I should clarify that my lo is exclusively breastfed, not even bottle-fed (she refuses to take one), so if I do resume, should I take the timing of her feedings into consideration?

Thank you, in advance! Like so many others here, I have been desperately looking for sound advice and for someone to give me the reassurance I need -- either to tell me to abstain or reassure me that resuming my medication (which is sorely needed) is okay at this stage.

-Becky

How long does it typically take to receive a response on this forum? Thanks in advance.

Comment

rebeccalee24,

Adderall is rated an L3-limited data probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 2.46-7.25% of your dose. If this product is used in breastfeeding mothers, the dose should be kept low, and infants should be monitored for agitation, hyperactivity, insomnia, decreased appetite, poor weight gain and tremor. We recommend trying to keep the dose at 20mg or less a day, but as long as your infant is not symptomatic it would probably be ok to continue breastfeeding.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
      InfantRisk Center
      806-352-2519

Comment

I am not sure how these threads are answered after several months have gone by.

I am basically in the same boat as the original poster. I only took 10mg twice a day before I got pregnant. Sometimes I didn't even take that. My Dr gave me the RX to start back advising that a half (5mg) may suffice.. I called my OB's office and they said that as long as the dose was low it should be ok. My question is beyond what you have advised to look for in the infant is that all? No long term effects on baby? I asked this question in a mother forum and one poster said that in the right conditions it could be fatal to infant. Now I know I know everything on the internet isn't true but I want to ask this question anyway. I have scoured the internet for LEGIT information and it seems that you guys are the only ones who have done actual studies on babies and breastfeeding moms who took adderall.

Comment

ebtolbert,

The amount of adderall transferred into breast milk is 2.46-7.25% of your dose. We recommend keeping the dose low at 20mg or less a day. "This medication is considered an L3 when used in clinical doses; however, should this medication be abused the risk would increase to an L5 based on potential increased dose ingested and potential lack of infant monitoring." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale) If you are taking low doses and your infant is not symptomatic you are probably ok to breastfeed.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
          InfantRisk Center
          806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
          X