Adderall and breastfeeding with other meds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall and breastfeeding with other meds

I have been on ADHD medication for 14 years (adderall). I stopped taking it during the pregnancy and my baby is 10 weeks old. I have 30 mg tablets (not XR), my daughters ped. said it would be fine to take as long as she doesn't lose weight. I have taken 15mg in the morning and 15mg at lunch for one week (I break a tablet in half) So far, there has been an increase in bowel movements, and a change in eating habits. She used to have one 2oz enfamil bottle in the morning and one in the evening and breastfeed in between (in her case breastfeeding is an all day thing) - since the adderall is back she will not take a bottle at all but still wants to nurse all day. she also has broken sleep a lot more than before but she still sleeps thru the night more than most babies (I believe that is due to my Rx of clozopam that unfortunately is a necessity, as well as methadone which was taken throughout my pregnancy) Everytime I nurse my child I feel like I am creating an inevitable problem child (& adult) who will end up with drug problems. I don't know what to do and I obsess over this by googling all day looking for answers or similar cases (which im sure will be unlikely) but I am scared to tell too many people bc I know I will be judged for the meds I take. Please help me

Dear j3084,

Since you are on several medications, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CT. We can discuss your medications and your specific doses and their effect on your breastfed infant.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Adderall 15 mg

Hi There, I have been recently diagnosed w mild ADD symptom, major anxiety, bip 2..Prescribed gabapentin, ativan, adderall up to 15mg 2x a day from this past Nov. My baby is almost 6months and I was off the meds for about a week and her sleeping was back to 4-6 hrs. this last 2 wks since being back on and doing as you have, taking 15 in am, then half lunchtime, 15 later, she has been back to the evry 2 hours night sleep..she is also teething so it is confusing. I am trying to wean off everything and go the holistic route and diet. She will never take a bottle unless I'm gone and my husband has to deal w a screaming hungry baby for a day & who knows if she will take it. It's not fair to her.

So I also every night while nursing searching and searching for some reason to quit, besides the unsupportive peoples comments, and no long term reports, but then your comment came up- thank GOD..I think if you really need the meds, which I thought I did, then yes get her on formula. 10 weeks is still pretty young for a high dose to metabolize, so try to wean off and wait till later for meds. Its so hard on us to constantly nurse and have no life, and not having to bottle feed is super convenient, but if they r uncomfortable we have to fix it. I am going to cognitive therapy to help w marriage issues, finances & some social anxieties, etc. I also purchased "focus formula" from natureremedies.com and trying to change diet. Vitamin b complex is in the mail (for energy) Also keeping busy w positive people etc helps. I have 4yr old to catch up with too so everything has fell on me hard but I know it will be ok..we need to be healthy for them. Yoga is great if I could even start a routine..I am going to try to get more into reading the bible..this country has lost religion over some time and the addictions and evil are consuming all of us..I don't have a supportive family so talking w strangers is my only alternative..there just has to be another way..Keep us posted on everything as will I. Women are strong..we can do it.xoxo

Comment

5mg Adderall and Breastfeeding a 3 Week old

I am new to this web site and I have found it very informative. I would like some information on Adderall and breastfeeding. If I take 5mg to type a paper for school how long after should I wait to breast feed and should I pump and dump the milk right after or should I just avoid it? I am having a tough time concentrating and I really need this in order to complete my paper. please advise

Comment

Dear Heather,

You are on a low dose of Adderall (dextroamphetamine). If you are on plain Adderall, the time the medication is highest in your breastmilk is the first 2 hours after your dose, so avoid nursing during that time. If you are on XR, the time the medication is highest in your breastmilk is 2 1/2 hours after your dose. Only small amounts of Adderall enter breastmilk, but the dosage should be kept low. You should observe your infant for agitation and poor weight gain. There is another medication called methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta) that has a lower amount that enters breastmilk that you can talk with your physician about. The half-life (time it takes for half of the drug to be metabolized out of your system) is 6 to 8 hours. If you are concerned, you may certainly wait passed the first half-life. If you have further questions, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, CT.

Sincerely,
          Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
          TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
          X